Serve The World
Serving dinner at the Dwelling Place.
The Mission and Outreach Commission identifies opportunities for members of the church to serve the world through hands-on service, collections, and information and advocacy events.
We focus on alleviating hunger, combating homelessness, and helping women, teens, and children at risk. We maintain our efforts to work with organizations where we can be physically involved.
Through our Outreach Commission we are active participants in the community. There are so many ways to contribute, make a difference and live out your faith. We organize activities and encourage all church members to participate :
The Mission and Outreach Commission makes distribution decisions based on a grant format, where organizations complete our grant request form to be considered for funding.
To be considered for a grant, an organization must be nonprofit registered 501c3 organizations. We prefer to fund organizations in which we can actively volunteer, or support in ways in addition to funding such as hold a drive for goods/supplies or serve meals. We do not give directly to individuals. Past donations have included:
- Homeless services and meal programs
- Women’s shelters and parenting education
- Services for at risk children and teens
- Services for the mentally and physically disabled
- Other programs that provide services to people in significant need
The application process is simple: organizations are required to describe the work they do, give a budget for the program they wish to fund, and explain how the monies will be used in their program. Our annual deadline is September 30. To get started, download our grant request form.
The Mission and Outreach Commission selects nonprofit organizations to receive offering money given at three special collections.
- Easter Offering (April): A special collection at Easter
- Just Peace Offering (October): A special fall collection for a social justice-oriented mission or program.
- Christmas Offering (December): A special collection at Christmas
Learn more about ways you can serve the church, and about the United Church of Christ’s wider mission.
Outreach & Service News
- 11th Hour in Ripley, March 1st, 2020 – Safe Communities Act Presentation
- Volunteers needed at the Dwelling Place on Saturday, February 15, 2020
- Children & Youth Faith Formation News January 9, 2020
- Volunteers Needed at the Dwelling Place on Saturday, January 18, 2020
- Habitat for Humanity Workday Saturday, January 11, 2020
- Special Christmas Offering
- Cookie Walk
- Outdoor Church on December 13 and 14
- Volunteers needed at the Dwelling Place on Saturday, December 21, 2019
- Winchester Unite with Light Luminaries